Birth Certificates may be obtained IN PERSON or by mail for an individual born in Connecticut. Please view the application to see who is eligible to request the certificate.
Obtaining Birth Certificates In Person
People who were born in Putnam or whose parents lived in Putnam at their time of birth, can be issued certified copies of birth certificates either by the Putnam Town Clerk, or the Town Clerk in the town where their birth occurred.
Obtaining Birth Certificates by Mail
Provided that all information required is included on your request, applications are processed within the same day we receive them. Information must be legible.
1. Send a letter or the completed application including
- Full name and date of birth on the certificate being requested
- Parents' full name when birth occurred (including mother's full maiden name)
- Indicate your choice of full form ($20.00) (full form required for passports)
or wallet size ($15.00) birth certificate (This gives only the name, sex, date of birth, and date of filing. It DOES NOT satisfy the proof of identification requirements needed for passport or a driver's license, and most schools are now requiring the full form to register a child.)
2. The person who is requesting the birth certificate must send a
- photocopy of their valid driver's license, valid state issued photo ID, or valid passport,and a phone number where you can be reached if we have any questions.
DO NOT SEND PHOTOCOPIES OF EXPIRED DRIVER'S LICENSES! If you do not have a driver's license or any other photo ID, we may accept photocopies of any TWO ( 2 ) of the following for identification purposes:
- social security card
- current written verification of identity from employer (on letter head)
- current automobile registration
- recent copy of utility bill showing name and address
- checking account deposit slip stating name and address
- current pay stub with name on it
3. Include a bank check or money order made payable to "Town of Putnam". (NO personal checks will be accepted.)
4. Include a self-addressed stamped envelope for return. All birth certificates are sent out via regular mail.
5. If you would like overnight return delivery you must include a pre-paid envelope for this service. Request may be sent to us using an overnight provider at: Town Clerk's Office126 Church Street, Putnam, CT 06260