Putnam Public Library Board of Trustees
Monday, February 26, 2018
Putnam Public Library
Present: Priscilla Colwell, Anne Lamondy, John Dignam, Louise Brodeur, Bev Shaw, Sue Nash, Kathy DiPilato
Not Present: Lesley Neal, Peggy McHugh, Jayne O’Toole
The February meeting was called to order at 7:00 p.m. by Chair, John Dignam.
There was no Public Participation
Secretary’s Report: Minutes of the January 22, 2018 minutes were reviewed. Kathy DiPilato made a motion to accept as presented and Anne Lamondy made a second. Motion carried.
Treasurer’s Report for February was presented. Treasurer, Louise Brodeur remarked that there was “Nothing out of the ordinary for the month”. Priscilla noted that the front door control was working sporadically and then not at all. The repair guy had to replace a part and it is now working perfectly.
Communications – Request from the ACLB (Association of CT Library Boards) to join the association. We decided it wasn’t worth the money.
- 2018-2019 budget: So far, our budget has gone unscathed. Priscilla addressed the issue on WINY this morning that $100,497 was moved from the library to the town budget, not cut. Those budget lines (Social Security, Health Insurance, Pension, Life + Disability, building insurance) have always been administered by the Finance Office. $100,000 cut from the budget was actually for auditing reasons, not a reduction. There will be a Public hearing probably in April. Priscilla will let us know the exact date.
- Update Internet Use and Wireless Policy – a number of additions were made to update and make the policy more relevant. Bev Shaw made a motion to accept the updated policy and Louise Brodeur made a second. Motion carried.
- Future planning – Priscilla will send us the next policy to update prior to the next meeting. A discussion ensued regarding supervised visits and food/drink. Patron Use Policy needs to address this issue.
Town Hall/Library project update:
- The Board approved the plan/design which includes a community room, Historical society, Town Hall and Library. The placement of the building on the lot and concern about the parking with proximity of Bolles street are some of the concerns. There were some questions about materials for the façade but the architectural style fits well in that area. Square footage seems adequate and well thought out. There is an overall positive feel. March 19 is a meeting about Ash Landfill monies.
- Irish dancers from the dance school in Charlton is scheduled for March 17 at 10:30 am
- Money talks program will be held on March 21st at 6 pm
- Releasing chronic pain program to be held on March 22 5:30-7:30
- We will participate in the Connecticut Library Association’s passport program again this year which encourages patron use of other libraries.
- Electric bill is 8.5% less this year than last (LED lights?)
- The Town may get involved in a solar project at the old town dumb and we might benefit from some of the credit from that
- The brick wall is coming down. Public Works is willing to remove it!
- On April 25th there will be a Robert’s Rules of Order Workshop. Priscilla plans to attend.
- Selectmen would like a quarterly report beginning at their March 19 meeting.
- The elevator is included in the 5 year capital improvement plan at $300K in 2022 using bonding.
- The Other Einstein by Marie Benedict is the QCR book. The program will be held June 20th at Mansion at Bald Hill.
Adjournment: Bev made a motion to adjourn and Louise made a second. Meeting adjourned at 7:58 p.m.
Beverly M. Shaw
Secretary to the Board of Trustees
Putnam Public Library