PUTNAM PUBLIC LIBRARY
Board of Director’s Meeting
Present: Priscilla Colwell, Anne Lamondy, John Dignam, Louise Brodeur, Bev Shaw, Sue Nash, Kathy DiPilato, Don Steinbrick
Not Present: Jayne O’Toole, Lesley Neal
The meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm by Chair, John Dignam
Public participation - none
Minutes of the September 25th, 2017 meeting were reviewed. Kathy DiPilato made a motion to accept as presented. Ann made a second. Motion carried.
Board member comments: none
Treasurer’s report: Highlights: Louise commented that the report was uneventful. Insurance/Property is usually 8,000 but it is $24,898.25 in this budget. Priscilla will ask Donna the Treasurer to clarify.
Communications - none
· Facilities Committee – will be meeting Oct. 26. New estimates will be heard. Town Administrator said the state doesn’t want the land re-designated. Just another glitch
· Repairs/maintenance – brickwork repair project starting soon. Patio wall removal still to be determined.
· Technology policy review – Good framework. We have been complimented for keeping up with our 4 year plan to update our computers. Priscilla would like to have wireless printing capability. She is using a temporary dedicated email address to help patrons print from their own devices. Ann made a motion to accept the updated Technology Policy. Kathy made a second. Motion carried.
· 2018 Board meeting dates – proposed dates:
Louise made a motion to accept these Board meeting dates. Don made a second. Motion carried.
· 2018 Library proposed closing dates
January 1 – New Year’s Day
January 15 - MLK Day
February 19 - Presidents Day
March 30 - Good Friday
May 28- Memorial Day
July 4- Independence Day
September 3- Labor Day
October 8- Columbus Day
November 12- Veterans Day
November 22- Thanksgiving
December 24, 25- Christmas
Motion to accept these closing dates was made by Bev with a second by Ann. Motion carried.
· Other topics -- Mary Calorio mentioned that the non-union policy has not been updated for a while. She would like to explore the idea for having the non-union policy for both the library and those in the town hall who are non-union. Several points are different which can be accommodated, i.e. vacation weeks etc. Most other things are the same and there are no obvious down-falls and could benefit our staff. Discussion will continue before making this decision.
· Future planning – need to decide which policy to review next. Priscilla will send out some short ones by email.
Director’s report – Highlights:
· Meditation group met for near-death experience program. 28 people
· Paint Night with Patty - November 15
· Medicare programs – Every week in October & November
· E-books – 2% of our circulation. Publishing houses increasing production.
· Rugs in the community room are being cleaned November 10th. Thinking of getting a large rug on top of part of it for tiny tots.
· Talked about artwork for the community room. Lots of ideas were shared. Discussion will continue.
Adjournment: Kathy made a motion to adjourn. Don made a second to the motion. Meeting adjourned at 8:04pm
Beverly M. Shaw
Secretary to the Board of Trustees
Putnam Public Library