PUTNAM PUBLIC LIBRARY
Board of Director’s Meeting
Present: Priscilla Colwell, Anne Lamondy, John Dignam, Louise Brodeur, Bev Shaw, Lesley Neal, Jayne O’Toole, Kathy DiPilato, Don Steinbrick
Not Present: Sue Nash
The meeting was called to order at 7:00 p.m. by John Dignam, Chair.
Board comments: Louise spoke about Halloween costume bank concept. Priscilla mentioned that there was a distribution of costumes at Positively Pomfret last weekend. The staff will all be Rosie the Riveters at the October 27th town Halloween Trick or Treat Street.
Public participation – none
Approval of minutes- Minutes of the August 28th were reviewed. Kathy made a motion to accept as presented and Anne made a second. Motion carried.
Treasurer’s report: All expenditures are in line with the budget. Last year we gave back $37173.66 to the town that we didn’t spend. Louise commented that we are always viewed as one of the most fiscally prudent groups in the town thanks to Priscilla’s guidance. Louise commented that both Tina and Priscilla are continually updating books that are needed/wanted by patrons.
Communications: Priscilla shared an idea from D. Denome concerning a possible location for the library.
· Grant - John & Priscilla went to Hartford on the 18th to a state library board meeting regarding an extension for the construction grant. It was approved but there can be no 3rd extension.
· Facilities Committee - will be meeting on Thursday.
· Repairs/maintenance - Brickwork repair by Ric Deojay should begin early in October. He says the work can go into early December depending on the weather if necessary. We discussed the removal of the front wall of the courtyard/patio to prevent problems from occurring (and reoccurring). Don suggested we ask Chad Sessums for his opinion.
· Our Tech Plan needs to be updated. Priscilla distributed copies and we will discuss possible changes at next month after taking time to study it. The Town is doing an IT audit.
· Director’s report – Highlights:
· Chase Graphics installed a new window sign that can be read from the road.
· Priscilla is still working on the reference/audio/reader transition.
· Priscilla and Abbie attended the Putnam Science Academy orientation. 70 students are enrolled – and it is now coed. They had a good experience and were impressed by their creative thinking and the updated facilities.
· Magazines have been added to our RBdigital subscriptions. 66 different magazines are available to Putnam residents who can use their library cards to download to different devices. Print material is still more popular.
· RequestIT (interlibrary loans) is once again available to patrons.
· Adjournment Kathy made a motion to adjourn. Louise made a second. The meeting was adjourned at 7:50 pm
Beverly M. Shaw
Secretary to the Board of Trustees
Putnam Public Library