PUTNAM PUBLIC LIBRARY
Board of Director’s Meeting
Date: July 24, 2017
Present: Priscilla Colwell, John Dignam, Louise Brodeur, Bev Shaw, Sue Nash, Kathy DiPilato, Don Steinbrick, Jayne O’Toole
Not Present: Anne Lamondy, Lesley Neal
The meeting was called to order at 7:03 pm by Chair, John Dignam.
Public Participation: none
Approval of Minutes: Minutes of the June 26, 2017 were reviewed. A motion was made by Kathy DiPilato to accept the minutes as presented. Sue Nash made a second to the motion. Motion carried.
Financial Report: Fiscal year ended June 30, 2017. Maintenance for EMCOR (HVAC) and Bibliomation will be paid in July. Next month Priscilla will have the report for the last fiscal year. Louise commented that our system brings transparency to the financial process by having the entire board review the list of expenditures each month.
· Facilities Committee -- John reported: Architect came last week presenting 3 plans to bring the project to $14 million. He mentioned that there is no storage space included in any of these plans. Real cost estimate due to be presented in August. There is another meeting on Thursday (7.26). Jayne made a motion made to apply for a second extension for construction grant. John made a second. Motion carried.
· Repairs/maintenance -- Masonry quotes: A third quote to comply with town regulations was received from Mac & Sons ($20,700). Other quotes are from Ulric Deojay ($5458) and Groundscapes ($4000). Don suggested we ask the town Building official to have a look at the quotes and give some input. Decision tabled until then.
· Needs subcommittee -- The committee has not met. The Facilities Committee is aware of our Needs Committee.
· Future planning -- Town Elections coming up. There is a new process for signing up for re-election which must be completed and returned by a deadline (this coming Wednesday – 7.26).
· Summer reading program is going very well. Almost 100 adults signed up. 62 Teens and (193) kids. Summer activities include yoga, crafts, music and movement etc. Summer lunch every day has a good turnout as well.
· Abby did a 3D printing program. 35 attended
· New hours are working well (10 am instead of 10:30). A good change
· The internet glitch was fixed by securing some key wires.
· Stomping Ground Dining for a Cause made over $200 for the Friends of the Library. They were very pleased with the turnout and want to do it again in the fall.
· The new Dr. Seuss museum is open. We signed up tickets for 4 Springfield museums which is includes this museum.
· Lights in the downstairs hallway went out. Paquette said the wiring was the problem. He linked another light with the problem light and things are working well.
· Various PHS yearbooks were donated to the library. After a Facebook post, many were given away.
· In the kids room, 2 new rocking chairs have been donated as a memorial. The old ones were given away by a “lottery” drawing.
· Derek, a patron, has organized a meditation group every Tuesday 6:30-7:30.
· The sink hole in parking lot was reported by a patron. Should be taken care of soon.
Louise suggested there be a sign (large print) regarding the availability of our vision assisted machine.
Barney Seney popped in and thanked the library for being a clearing house for the military periodicals for Veterans. It has been very successful since we agreed to have it.
Adjournment: Sue Nash made a motion to adjourn. Jayne O’Toole made a second. Meeting adjourned at 8:02 pm.
Beverly M. Shaw
Secretary to the Board of Trustees
Putnam Public Library