PUTNAM PUBLIC LIBRARY
Board of Director’s Meeting
Date: November 28, 2016
Time called to order: 7:01
Present: Priscilla Colwell, Anne Lamondy, John Dignam, Louise Brodeur, Bev Shaw, Sue Nash, Kathy DiPilato, Don Steinbrick, Lesley Neal
Not Present: Jayne O’Toole
Public Participation: none
Approval of Minutes: Minutes of the October 24, 2016 were reviewed. Don Steinbrick made a motion to accept as presented. Kathy DiPilato made a second. Motion carried.
Financial Report: Nothing out of the ordinary.
* Priscilla shared a report on all of our bank accounts (all accounts are audited by the town annually):
* Key Bank (formerly New Alliance) is a checking account for Connecticard $.
* Key Bank holds the State Grant account: We can keep only 2 years of the money. No new monies will be awarded this year.
* Bank Hometown (ESB) -- John Markis Trust in a savings account. Keep it active in order not to have any deductions.
* Gardner Library Fund (town managed). Partly in Charter Oak, partly in Putnam Bank. More information will be shared at the next meeting.
Priscilla suggested we use some of our funds ($400) to purchase a pass to Old Sturbridge Village (1/2 off admission for a family of four).
a. 2017 holiday schedule - only discussion were the following:
1. Christmas: Closed on the 23-25.
2. Veterans Day. Friday, Nov. 10th
3. Louise made a motion to accept Holiday Schedule. Lesley made a second. Motion carried.
1. Priscilla asked Bardells about asbestos in the flooring. He doesn’t think it’s a problem. Can test in a corner. We discussed flooring options. Will check 2 other vendors for quotes.
2. Painting will be done for 3 days after Christmas.
c. Facilities Committee
1. At the last meeting there were revised plans because the Senior Center was taken out of the picture. The committee will be working on a legal Priority Use Agreement and will review new plans carefully.
a. Archivist visit
i. Meeting with the Archivist was a fun and interesting experience for Priscilla, Pat and Anne. Questions were asked about ownership of Warner material. Her will has to be checked out and we need to talk with previous Board members to see if they know. The Archivist helped to determine that we have 3 collections. (1) Gertrude Chandler Warner papers, (2) Putnam Public Library records, (3) Putnam history. She gave suggestions on archiving etc., will send a report and will check back in two months. It is Important to decide what you are NOT going to collect (because of space issues etc.).
ii. Also discussed atmosphere (A/C & heat).
b. Personnel policy
i. Town Dept. heads met last Wednesday to work on the non-union personnel policy. Edited version will go to Selectman’s personnel committee next week. We discussed snow days…should personal time be used for snow days? Priscilla will send out the edited policy with changes for Board to peruse.
c. Future planning
Our December 19th meeting will begin at 6:00 pm after which we will adjourn to John’s home for a holiday gathering.
We need a new Board photo for our website.
* 3D printing Teen program went very well with 20 participants
* Saturday movies are doing well (last Saturday of each month at 2)
* Book discussion (A Walk in the Woods) is coming up
* Mason Jar Night Light Craft is coming on Dec. 7
* Fire box will be installed on December 8
* Wireless water meter was installed by Suez .
* We are due to look at our Long Term Plan soon.
Adjournment: Bev made a motion to adjourn and Kathy made a second. Meeting adjourned at 8:11 pm.
Respectfully Submitted by
Secretary to the Library Board of Directors