PUTNAM PUBLIC LIBRARY
Board of Director’s Meeting -- Notes
Present: Priscilla Colwell, Louise Brodeur, Bev Shaw, Lesley Neal, Sue Nash, Jayne O’Toole, Kathy DiPilato
Not Present: Anne Lamondy, John Dignam
The meeting was called to order at 7:03 pm by Louise Brodeur.
Public Participation: none
Communications: no written communications but kudos to Priscilla for her radio presentation this morning with Gary O.
Louise announced that Tuesday, October 18th there will be a Senior Fair at St. Mary’s Church. 10-3. Over 20 informational groups will be represented. On November 2nd, Verizon representatives will be present to answer questions for Seniors about their phones and other devices.
Approval of Minutes: Minutes of the 8.22.16 meeting were reviewed. A motion to accept report as presented was made by Kathy DiPilato with a second from Sue Grant-Nash. Motion carried.
Financial Report: The report for September 2016 was presented and pronounced unexceptional.
* Repairs/renovations -- Priscilla sent a letter to Board of Finance requesting financial support and including quotes for the library painting project and the Firebox company. The Finance Board will discuss at tonight’s meeting.
* Facilities Committee -- Louise reported. Conversation centered on the Senior Center – possibly placing it at the old Armory. Nothing to report on library.
* New Hire -- 21 responses to the ad for Children’s Clerk. Interviewed 5 applicants. One stood out who has experience. Elaine Peters starts Wednesday working 12 hours per week. Fingerprinting at the Board of Ed worked out perfectly for us.
* Will discuss Personnel policy next month.
Director’s report – Highlights:
* Landlord book signing and the Stress Workshop were both well attended
* Saturday, October 1st is the 2nd Walking Tour “Walking in Gertrude Chandler Warner’s Footsteps”. October 8th is the rain date.
* October 22nd is the Pumpkin Festival. Lots going on. Crafts, cupcakes, book signing, chiropractor, bingo etc., etc.
* First book discussion – The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah is on Sept. 28
* Willow Wreath Workshop is October 19th.
* AARP Safe Driving workshop is October 20th
* Cookie Day is October 21st – all day. Sharing cookies with everyone.
* The Library is having a problem with clients from CHR who are temporary residents and are moving away with library materials. Priscilla suggested putting a limit in our circulation policy which would limit membership to 3 months and have a 3 item limit on their card and no interlibrary loans. Brainstormed on how we can make our relationship with this program work for both us and the residents. Will table discussion until next month. Priscilla will talk with the CHR director.
* Town Trick or Treat night is October 28th from 5-7. Staff will be costumed as witches
* Priscilla purchased 50 headphones at 79 cents each to distribute to those who might need them at the computer stations.
* The original stove, sink, fridge combination from 1955 is still in the kitchenette downstairs. It’s leaking and not working. Priscilla is hoping to replace it all with a set tub which will be more practical.
Adjournment : Jane O’Toole made a motion to adjourn with a second from Kathy DiPilato. Meeting adjourned at 8:24 pm.
Respectfully submitted by,
Beverly M. Shaw
Putnam Public Library
Board of Directors