American Rescue Plan Act
- What is the ARPA?
- Status of Town's ARPA
- How Can I Apply as a Local Agency
- Outside Entity Requested Funding
- Citizen Input
The American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 was passed on March 11, 2021. This bill is an economic stimulus package of $1.9 trillion for recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic. A portion of the funds in this bill were to allocated to local governments through the State and Local Fiscal Recovery Fund.
The Coronavirus State and Local Fiscal Recovery Funds provide eligible state, local, territorial, and Tribal governments with a substantial infusion of resources to meet pandemic response needs and rebuild a stronger, and more equitable economy as the country recovers. Recipients may use these funds to:
- Support public health expenditures, by, for example, funding COVID-19 mitigation efforts, medical expenses, behavioral healthcare, and certain public health and safety staff
- Address negative economic impacts caused by the public health emergency, including economic harms to workers, households, small businesses, impacted industries, and the public sector
- Replace lost public sector revenue, using this funding to provide government services to the extent of the reduction in revenue experienced due to the pandemic
- Provide premium pay for essential workers, offering additional support to those who have and will bear the greatest health risks because of their service in critical infrastructure sectors
- Invest in water, sewer, and broadband infrastructure, making necessary investments to improve access to clean drinking water, support vital wastewater and stormwater infrastructure, and to expand access to broadband internet
Within these overall categories, recipients have broad flexibility to decide how best to use this funding to meet the needs of their communities.
The Town has a number of eligible and important projects planned for this funding. As these projects are initiated and budgeted, the Town will review outside entity requests. We expect the Town’s review and decision making to extend well into calendar year 2022. As you may see in other sections of this page, outside entities can apply for the funding. We have categorized the projects into Town, Water Pollution Control Authority, and outside entity requests. There are many important projects with limited funding, we encourage public input regarding the Town's decisions.
Note: these are working document and will be modified as projects continue and budgets formalize.
The Town, and specifically the Board of Selectman, will decide how to allocate received funds. We will request these entities to complete a town-specific application. Below are letters received regarding outside entities that may be requesting funding:
Putnam Public Schools (Sub-1.4) approved by BOS for $60,000 on 10/18/21
United Services, Inc. (Sub-1.5)
The Arc Eastern Connecticut (Sub-1.7)