Exemption & Credit Programs
The Assessor's office processes many exemption and credit programs.
A property tax exemption is a reduction to a real or motor vehicle property assessment and is administered by the Assessor. Residency and property ownership must be established on or before October 1 assessment date. Except where noted, proof of exemption eligibility must also be provided on or before assessment date.
The Monetary benefits realized by applicants approved for exemptions are dependent upon the mill rate. (For example, a $3,000 property tax assessment exemption in a town having a mill rate of 21.5 equates to a monetary savings of $64.50).
The credits that are processed in our office are:
- Rehabilitation Property Tax Deferral, where the town has elected to allow applications for substantial improvements of properties to have their tax increase deferred. The town recognizes improvements to properties also increase the value and tax increase, please click here to access the application and important information on who may qualify.
- Renters Rebate, for renter residents who are either over 65 or totally disabled and meet state set income guidelines, you can apply between April 1st and October 1st to receive a rebate check from the State of Connecticut. Click here to see if you may qualify.
- Circuit Breaker/Homeowner's Program, for homeowner residents who are either over 65 or totally disabled and meet state set income guidelines, you can apply between February 1st and May 15th to receive a percentage off of your real estate taxes. Click here to see if you may qualify.
- Senior Farmers Market Vouchers, this program is a booklet of vouchers to be used at local farmers markets. The program is administered by the Connecticut Department of Agriculture, and our office is a distribution site. Click here to see if you may qualify and how to receive your vouchers.
- War Time Veterans Exemption
- Disabled Veterans Exemption
- Additional Veterans Exemption
- Blind Exemption
- Totally Disabled Exemption
- Business Exemption
- Real Estate Programs