Circuit Breakers/Homeowners Program
A tax relief program for elderly and totally disabled persons who meet certain income guidelines is available. This relief takes the form of a credit that appears on the taxpayer’s real estate tax bill in July. The amount of the credit is based upon income.
This program is applied for between February 1st through May 15th. Tax credits can range between 10% and 50%, depending on income and marital status.
- Applicants must be over the age of 65 or be totally disabled and receiving Social Security Benefits.
- Must be a resident of Putnam.
- Must meet the program’s income guidelines set forth by the State of Connecticut. For the year ending December 31, 2020, the income limits were as follows: Single Applicants maximum was $37,600 and Married Applicants maximum was $45,800. These limits are adjusted each year with the federal Cost of Living Adjustment.
- Must be either the record owner of, or hold life use in the real property in which he resides, both on October 1st assessment date and at the time of making application.
- Applications and annual income limits are available in the Assessor’s Office.
- A sample copy of this application is found on this website – see Form M-35H.