Additional Veteran’s Exemption – Per the provisions of §12-81g(a) and (b)
How can I qualify?
As of October 1 of the assessment date, you must:
- Be a Putnam resident.
- Be qualified for either the War Time Veterans or the Disabled Veterans exemptions and meet annual income guide lines set by the State of Connecticut for an additional doubling of the exemption.
How do I apply?
Contact the Assessor’s Office for an appointment to complete an application for the additional double exemption. You will need to provide proof of your income from the prior year. Proof includes:
- Income Tax Return (signed) in filing an return
- Social Security Benefit Statement 1099, sent in January
- Statement of Wages and Tips (W-2)
Interest statements (1099) from savings and interest bearing checking accounts, Statements of annuity, pensions, or dividend payments. Statements of veteran pension and veteran disability payments.
A sample copy of this application can be found on this website –see Form M-59.
When may I apply?
For the additional double exemption to apply to a Grand List you must apply between February 1 and October 1 of the Grand List year.
When do I have to reapply?
To continue this additional double exemption you must complete an application and be approved every two years.
What are the benefits of this program?
This exemption is based on the other Veterans or Veterans with Disability exemptions you already are receiving. An additional reduction in assessment will be applied to property owned based on the following:
- War Time Veteran is $2,000 if income guide lines are met.
- VA Rating 10% to 25% is $3,000 if income guide lines are met.
- VA Rating 26% to 50% is $4,000 if income guide lines are met.
- VA Rating 51% to 75% is $5,000 if income guide lines are met.
- VA Rating 76% to 100% is $6,000 if income guide lines are met.
- VA Rating and age 65 is $6,000 if income guide lines are met.