Welcome to the Putnam, Connecticut History Page
Originally known as Aspinock, then part of Killingly, Putnam was incorporated in 1855, carved out of Killingly, Pomfret, and Thompson and named in honor of General Israel Putnam of Revolutionary War fame. Some of the early settlers led the expansion to the Northwest Territory in 1787.
One of the first cotton mills in the country was built here in 1806. With the availability of waterpower and the opening of the railroad in 1840, textile industries flourished. After the mill district was ravaged by the flood of 1955, the Industrial area of Putnam was rebuilt.