Library Board Meeting Minutes

Meeting Date: 
August 22, 2016


Board of Director’s Meeting

Date: August 22, 2016


Present: Priscilla Colwell, Anne Lamondy, John Dignam, Louise Brodeur, Bev Shaw, Kathy DiPilato

Not Present: Sue Nash, Lesley Neal, Jayne O’Toole, Will Child


The meeting was called to order at 7:13 pm by chair, John Dignam.

Public Participation: None

Approval of Minutes: Kathy DiPilato made a motion to accept the minutes of July 27, 2016 with corrections of a few spelling errors. Louise Brodeur made a second to the motion. Motion carried.

Financial Report: August 2016 – We are into our 2nd month of the fiscal year. Connecticard money was used for recorded books, Universal class, Bibliomation, Overdrive, etc. A number of items were paid for by Friends. Balance on the Connecticard account is $39,246.33. We will receive funds for this account from the state in the Spring of 2017. No monies will be received this year from the State Grant - usually around $1200. Priscilla usually pays for passes from this account.

Marcus CD account. Interest income has increased considerably [$624.96] since switching banks .

Communications: Will Child sent a letter stating he had moved out of town and has to resign from the Library Board. The Republican Party has a month to appoint someone for the balance of Will’s term.

Old Business:

Repairs/Renovations – 4 companies looked at the painting job – 3 quotes were given: Goyette Rock & Paint; Minuteman Home Services LLC and R&R Commercial. Should we consult the Board of Finance regarding this project? Priscilla will consult with Doug about having the town do this job.

Facilities Committee -- No news. Meeting on Thursday, August 25th

New Business:

Replace fire alarm box -- Circuit supplying the fire alarm box is failing. There are two options {from FASD} (1) Monitor the system with a radio master box which communicates directly with the fire department or (2) A cellular communicator that would report to a third party monitoring service that would them communicate with the fire department. We must have this done by January 1st. Priscilla will also bring this up to Doug Cutler to see if this really our responsibility or the Town’s.

Future planning

Priscilla distributed samples of Non-union personnel policy documents that we should read over then discuss at the next meeting.

Director’s Reports:

* Abbie has applied for the Teen position. She will start in September.

* Therefore, the Children’s Assistant position is now open. There have been 9 applicants so far. 4 or 5 will be chosen for an interview. A new hire should be in place by mid-September. Discussed the need for fingerprinting new hires. Priscilla will check into it.

* Priscilla has almost finished the state annual report

* Circulation is a little down from last year, probably due to the interlibrary loan system being down for 3 weeks.

* The drain with elbow bend was cleared through by the town. This needs to be done 2x per year to prevent flooding down the outside stairs.

* The Stitches Group enjoyed their meeting at the home of Mary O’Leary, Friend of the Library. Will have their next Friends meeting at her home in September.

Adjournment: Bev made a motion to adjourn. Louise made a second. Meeting adjourned at 8:34 pm.

Respectfully submitted by,

Beverly M. Shaw


Putnam Public Library

Board of Directors